Minerals, Metals & Mining
Improve reliability and sustainability of your mining operations.Learn more
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is an automation system which allows you to engineer, operate and maintain your entire plant in a single common database. The system enables users to achieve operational profitability from design engineering to meeting the demands of modern day production.It is the next generation process automation system for a digitized and energy-aware plant and is positioned at the Edge Control layer of EcoStruxure Plant.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS combines the management of fieldbuses, instrumentation, intelligent connected devices, operator stations, engineering stations and alarm management in a scalable, powerful automation platform.EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is an essential component of EcoStruxure Plant, interconnecting and managing all components of the automation architecture so plants can maximize their operational profitability safely.
Improve reliability and sustainability of your mining operations.Learn more
Improve profitable reliability and sustainability with built-in energy and asset management.Learn how
Learn how staying agile enables real-time response to changes in market demand.Find out more
The Engineering System provides an innovative multi-engineering environment to improve efficiency throughout the engineering phase of a plant and commissioning, accelerating start-up and minimizing project risk. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS Engineering environment, is a scalable, collaborative server/client architecture that allows multiple engineers working at the same time to configure a complete process automation system, from the hardware configuration, communication, controls and mimics for the operation station.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS provides a single, global database to store the configurations of the whole system. The single database enables active services to share information across all the components of the automation system, as well to share real-time engineering data with all the users. It is a centralized repository for the whole system, making maintenance easier.
A single entry point for all configuration enables faster system design and fewer errors. Asset information data is introduced only once and the design of system follows the control instrumentation diagram, making the controls design, installation and commissioning easier.
Configuration, deployment, diagnostics, communication, security, connectivity and people-data collaboration are services that enable you to build a single, unified “Plant Model” to logically represent your process, and a "Plant Infrastructure" to represent the physical equipment. This makes the design and maintenance of the system more efficient, more flexible and less risky.
The foundation of EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is the Model; the logical representation of the physical equipment and processes being controlled, supervised, managed. This unique model provides a single, consistent definition of your infrastructure or plant in meaningful terms and organized as re-usable templates.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is adaptable to different business needs at every stage of the plant life cycle. Application objects are created by reusing existing powerful templates. The parent-child relationship is key to control deployment, propagation of changes and maintenance. This reduces time and risk during the life cycle of your system.
Working in parallel during the engineering phase can reduce design time and cost dramatically. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS Engineering System is a scalable and flexible client-server architecture that can be adapted to the size and needs of the plant. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS enables concurrent engineering in the same system or application.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS provides out-of-the-box engineering traceability and revision control by recording any system configuration change. This feature helps to support the verification of changes, in order to be compliant with the requirements of regulated industries.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS provides embedded simulation capabilities that allow the simulation of the entire system at any time, via any engineering workstation, which greatly reduces errors during the design phase. This reduces time to market, engineering costs and increase the quality of the final control system.
• Centralized hardware and software configuration that is uniform throughout the system with an engineering system with integrated configuration for field devices
• Avoid errors and reduce engineering time: A single and global database, and configure-once philosophy eliminates redundant entries and makes data entered available throughout the system
• Asset configuration is simplified thanks to pre-configured, tested and validated Object template libraries.
• Simple duplication of equipment by reusing existing object templates
The ability to provide operators with clear process information is crucial to driving production efficiency. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS provides a consistent control and operational interface with a real-time view of your process. The system delivers operators all the services and data they need to make timely and accurate decisions.
The menus, contextual sub-menus, and banners enable the operator to access the data easily.
Each faceplate has:
• User interface for an operator to monitor the component
• Interlocks to manage the missing conditions to process an action
• Status and information about the component
• Parameters associated with the component (e.g. PID)
• It is possible to open several faceplates in parallel
With EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS, the right person gets the right information at the right time. Problems can be diagnosed and solved faster. You can access any data in real-time for any device or equipment in your system. This includes the code running in the controller, all documentation, event historian, asset management, Internet links, etc.
The RTNS is a native service provided by EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS Objects during runtime. These powerful diagnostic services allow the user to access different points of view for each object, including monitoring control logic, accessing documentation, topological localization, alarms and trends etc. This innovative service reduces commissioning time as well downtime, by quickly identifying the root cause of any issues.
Trending views combine real-time and historical data. When users view a trend page, they can monitor the current activity as it happens, and simply scroll back through time to view the trend history. The distributed trending system handles large numbers of variables without compromising performance or data integrity. Operators can choose from a selection of pre-configured trend pages that provide clear data representation with customizable views for quick and simple trend analysis.
The EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS alarm tool allows users to quickly identify faults within the system or process and take corrective action, thereby reducing plant downtime. The alarm system is fast and reliable, providing you detailed information about the status of your plant. Alarms are displayed on dedicated alarm pages, with the most recent alarms visible at all times in the alarm banner on every page. Working in conjunction with platform controllers, alarms are time stamped and accurate to a millisecond. Alarms can be filtered according to the application view, enabling the operator to zoom into a sub-part of the application easily.
The operator log enables the operator to track commands and time stamp them in a file. The following information is logged:
• change of process values
• bypass of interlock conditions
• user activities, such as manual reset following a failure, a consignment of a device or device simulation, and a change of command mode (operator to program mode or reverse).
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS allows the user to build their control system through the instantiation and configuration of objects. The core objects within the DCS are part of an integrated library designed to be suitable for most purposes and hence called the General Purpose Library. The library contains tested, validated and documented libraries which are suitable to form the core of your process. From this you can go on to build the control system you require.
The components of the objects within the library are the connection, control and visualization facets but these are extended to also include historian reporting and other facets of the DCS.
There are many challenges in delivering a standard library. The libraries within the DCS have been designed specifically to address some of these issues.
Weight: The DCS libraries are a set of lightweight blocks which are constructed to meet the needs of the market but can be customized for the site or individual device. The options selected are clear in the code (no hidden parameters). This produces a lighter program (needs fewer controllers) and a clearer program (simpler to debug) for the end users.
Support: The DCS libraries are the tested, validated and documented libraries of Schneider Electric. They are embedded with our offers but also used within a testing and proving teams to show how Schneider Electric works. With this testing we can offer a support for each block within the libraries. A team is dedicated to their ongoing development and support. Most library components are open and can be viewed as DFBs within the controller and can be simply diagnosed by the engineers within the project.
Customization: There is no perfect library for every customer. The DCS libraries are extensible between objects but can also be customized within the blocks. This is done by allowing the objects to be copied and changed. The customized objects can still use many of the functionality of the library blocks and are supported as stand-alone code objects in each facet. The customization is expected. The libraries should offer a platform on which this final custom automation system can be delivered in the fastest possible time.
Future: The DCS libraries are vendor libraries. They are constantly developed and maintained to meet the needs of our customers and to support the connection of our products. Having a vendor library means that we can anticipate the release of new automation and electrical hardware and provide support. It enables us to understand and adapt to emerging standards in visualization, and take advantage of continuously enhancing control to improve. Using our libraries is the safest way to ensure the ability to rapidly build and update your control system over its lifetime.
The core library is designed to provide the components you need for the core of your automation process:
• Analog Devices:
• Analog Input (direct, processed or multiple)
• Analog Output (actuators, control valves, motorized valves, pulse width)
• Analog Control (PID, ramp, split range, ratio, ramp, lead-lag, 3-step)
• Digital Devices
• Digital Inputs (limits or other discrete sensors)
• Motors (direct, dual direction, dual speed, variables speed)
• Valves (fail open, fail close, fail)
• Process Templates
• Flow Control (in 2017)
• Pump Set Management (in 2017)
• Automation Infrastructure
• Sequence Management (ISA88 - sequencing)
• Process Management (ISA – equipment module
• Batch Integration (InBatch phase management)
All of this functionality is integrated into EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS and ready for use.
While this is the functionality typically expected of an automation library, this DCS and its libraries extend beyond this classical automation layer to integrate connected productions and software applications through the libraries within edge control. They bring the IIoT from the paper to a reality within your control system.
The libraries are designed to enable the integration of Schneider Electric and third-party devices into the DCS via different open and propriety protocols. Connecting these devices to the controller makes their data available through the rest of the control system.
• Supported industrial networks
• Ethernet I/P (2017)
• Modbus (TCP and serial)
Using these networks, the libraries are able to gain access to the rich set of data from available automation and electrical assets. For Schneider Electric devices, automation blocks are provided to make key data available within the control system. For third-party devices, the interface is open for integration partners to leverage the interfaces and expose data from other devices.
• Schneider Electric motor and drive management:
• Motor Starters (TesysU & TesysT )
• Progressive Starters (Altistart 61)
• Variable Speed Drives (Altivar 31, 32, 61, 71, 600, 900, 1200*)
• Schneider Electrics power management:
• Circuit Breakers (Masterpact & Compact)
• Protection Relays (SEPAM 20, 40, 80)
• Power Meters (PM 9C ,700, 800, 1200, 53xx, 82xx)
• Smart UPS (AP 9622) • Harmonic Filter (Acusine)
As part of the Schneider Electric suite of automation offers, customers of EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS have access to the most comprehensive set of software offerings on the market. These offers start with historians and batching systems but carry on to asset management, planning, supply chain, simulation, training and other offers.
The libraries work with the software to deliver all the data and interfaces necessary to integrate seamlessly with these software offers:
• Wonderware Historian
• Wonderware inBatch
• Plant Asset Management
Schneider Electric provides additional libraries which deliver extended functionality specific to industry-focused applications (mining, cement, water treatment) or a particular function (power or energy management and advanced process control). These libraries contain code for industry-specific equipment (eg. Penstock for water) and industry process templates (e.g. grinding or floatation for mining).
These additional libraries are purchased separately but are designed to enhance the functionality of the complementary libraries.
The industry specific libraries provide the following functionality:
• Process Templates:
• Dual Media Filter
• Control Equipment:
• Flow Measurement (Flume)
• Flow Measurement (Weir)
• Time & Event Scheduler
• Process Templates:
• Ore Volume Control (Belt Conveyor)
• Wet Grinding Mill
• Spiral Separation
• Rotary Cyclone Separation
• Rotary Dryer
• Control Equipment:
• Belt Conveyor
• Time & Event Scheduler Cement Library
• Process Templates:
• Kiln Management
• Gas Analysis
• Fuel Selection
• Gear Lubrication
• Control Modules:
• The Cement library uses a dedicated control library (MMM) which provides functionality similar to the general purpose library for automation.
The EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS system is equipped with a server work station for the EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS Server and the operation server. There is also an additional computer for operation stations or engineering stations.
The Magelis HMI Rack PC, included in EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS, offers a complete plant solution that has been tested and validated with EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS. Magelis HMI Rack PCs can be easily installed in 19" enclosures and connected to Magelis iDisplay a display for screen.
The Magelis Rack PC particularly addresses your needs in control rooms where the replacement costs and environment constraints (temperature, dust, unwanted EM emissions) are limited.
• Consistent Magelis range, to operate the different needs of EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS architectures:
• high performance model for engineering (EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS System Server)
• intermediate performance model for Operation servers, with a high-duty hard drive
• ease of integration in control room with 19” rack format
• ready to include rack in a standard cabinet in control rooms
• Magelis HMIR Universal (2U) model
• Magelis HMIR Performance (4U) model
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS provides a complete solution from sensors, electrical devices and control to Business Information Systems.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is built on an Ethernet backbone for an open and flexible architecture. Ethernet topology offers transparent access to the information you need, from the plant floor up to the enterprise level. The system can interface with automation devices such as drives, motors starters and with power management devices such as breakers and power meters. This enables EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS to get accurate, real-time process data at any time. It helps you measure, analyze and improve the energy consumption and overall operational profitability of your process, so you can produce efficiently with minimum waste, effort, and cost.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS supports various automation architectures, which are based on our standard offer for controllers and devices connected through a range of networks and fieldbuses. It enables connectivity to other controllers and devices that are not part of our core architecture.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS enables you to exchange data with other software like Historian, Batch or MES, to provide information to Business Information Systems.
The architecture of EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is fully flexible. You can deploy the system infrastructure on one single computer that hosts all the necessary functions, or on multiple computers. The decision depends on the size and the topology of the project, and the performance expected from the application. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS includes four main components:
1. System Server – this server hosts the global database and centralizes and synchronizes all the information throughout the system infrastructure. A configuration can contain only one system server. The engineering software is also embedded in the System Server.
2. Engineering Clients – Engineering clients house all the editors needed to configure and build a project. A client can be located on the same workstation containing the system server, or on another workstation enabling engineers to work concurrently on different applications or even on the same application located on the system server.
3. Operation Servers – Operation servers include services such as I/O servers, alarms servers, trend servers and report servers. Each configuration requires at least one operation server.
4. Operation Clients – Operation clients help monitor the system. The number of Operation Clients depends on how the control system is monitored, and how many client stations are required.
All these clients and servers are interconnected through an Ethernet Network. To get access to the controllers from the Engineering Client, the client must be connected to the control network or get access from the supervision network to the control network via a router. To avoid connecting all the workstations on the same network, which may affect the response time, it is recommended to run two separate networks, with routing capabilities between networks.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS enables you to design complete automation solutions, with the flexibility to select the controllers depending on the requirements of your automation system.
This flexibility enables you to select the most appropriate and economical solution that fits within the constraints of the application, through three types of controllers:
• Modicon M340, the mid-range controller dedicated to simple to medium complex applications,
• Modicon M580, the ePAC controller, for simple to complex applications, with a wide range of architectural capabilities,
• Modicon Quantum controller for mid-size and large applications.
The three ranges of controllers are part of our extensive catalog of automation solutions, with Ethernet connectivity, allowing a variety of configurations and architectures.
The Modicon X80 range is a common platform for racks and modules for Modicon 340, Modicon 580 and Modicon Quantum with Ethernet I/Os. The X80 range provides a common I/O platform that reduces maintenance and training costs. Common spare parts for multiple systems allow you to reduce your inventory or spares.
Benefits of the Modicon products:
• A scalable range of solutions to meet the exact level of control required, without sacrificing simplicity and performance
• Enable common programming using a standard range of functional libraries
• Reduce implementation time and cost with commercially available cabling, modular architectures, and standard networking protocols
• Expandable control solutions with seamless connectivity to an extensive range of products
The EcoStruxure Modicon X80 range is a common platform for racks and modules for Modicon 340, Modicon 580 and Modicon Quantum with Ethernet I/O.
Modicon X80 includes:
• all in-rack modules,
• power supplies,
• Ethernet remote I/O modules drop head,
• all I/O, expert functionality and communication modules.
The Modicon X80 I/O platform may also support various architectures.
Local I/O are input and output modules located in the local rack of the controller. The internal backplane is used as a communication medium.
Remote I/O are input and output modules located away from the local controller and local I/O rack. Remote I/O eliminates expensive point-to-point wires by networking just a few (or thousands) process signals onto one digital communication link.
Distributed I/O modules enable long-distance communication of data and ensure flexibility. Distributed I/O modules are input and output modules that increase device integration options when located on an island that communicates with the controller over a fieldbus or network. Due to the use of fieldbus communication over the network, distributed I/O delivers limited performance, depending on the medium used between the modules and the controller.
Racks and Power Supply Modules for EcoStruxure Modicon X80
Racks provide a mechanical mounting point for all the modules and a communication bus for the processor and the I/O, or communication modules in the local or remote rack.
Every rack must contain at least one power supply module. The chosen supply depends on the voltage requirements.
The EcoStruxure Modicon X80 family contains modules that cover all process requirements and operate in both standard and harsh environments. Many possibilities are offered in each range: Digital I/O, Analog I/O, expert functionality, which can be combined in local or remote I/O architectures.
Modicon STB Island is an open, modular IP20-rated distributed I/O system that distributes connection to sensors and actuators from a controller. This modular system resides in a structure called an island. It makes it possible to design automation islands managed by a master controller via a bus or communication network.
Various possibilities in terms of digital and analog I/O modules are available. An Island is embedded with a CanOpen field bus to include devices as TeSys U or TeSys T starter-controllers, or Altivar variable speed drives within the island.
In addition to discrete and analog I/Os, application specific I/O HART channels are available in the island with the HART multiplexer module.
The EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS system uses Ethernet architectures extensively. Ethernet provides transparent communication services to the entire operation through the implementation of standard, unmodified Ethernet protocols, and services.
Ethernet communication capabilities are embedded either in specialized communication modules, or as a communication port in some processors.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS seamlessly provides capabilities to configure Ethernet network architectures from a single engineering environment. The following services are available:
• Configuration of peer-to-peer communication: this service enables you to define the exchanges between controllers over the control network from a single environment.
• Communication with devices through Ethernet with Modbus/TCP explicit messaging: the user defines the devices that communicate with the controller. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS implicitly configures the communication function blocks running in the controllers.
• Communication with devices through Ethernet I/O Scanning service: for those devices that support this service. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS provides a communication mapping interface that enables you to set up the communication from a single editor.
The network Option network (NOS) module, which can be plugged in the rack of a EcoStruxure Modicon M580 controller is embedded with switch capability, that simplifies the cabling.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is embedded with various possibilities to set up communication through fieldbuses, depending on the requirements of the application:
• Modbus serial link to exchange information with devices,
• Hart communication to collect information in analog I/O module supporting Hart protocol,
• Profibus DP fieldbus.
Modbus Serial link
The Modbus serial link is used for master/slave architectures. The bus consists of a master station and slave stations. Only the master station can initiate the exchange (direct communication between slave stations is not possible). Two exchange mechanisms are available:
• Question/response, where requests from the master are addressed to a given slave. The master then waits for the response from the slave that has been interrogated.
• Broadcasting, where the master broadcasts a message to all slave stations on the bus. The latter can execute the order without transmitting a reply.
Many devices support Modbus serial link, as it is an economical and simple configuration protocol to exchange data with a controller when high performance of the exchanges is not required.
HART analog I/O modules contain transceivers that master HART devices and information through the module. They can be managed by the AMS (Asset Management System) or by the controller itself. HART field device connection is point to point and collects channel information in addition to the analog value.
The Profibus Remote Master (PRM) enables the exchange of data as close as possible to the process and the instrumentation with a controller. The PRM exchanges the data collected from Profibus through the Ethernet Modbus TCP/IP network via the I/O scanner communication service.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS integrates seamlessly with Schneider Electric devices. Not only does It easily connect to automation devices like motor starters and drives, but also power devices like breakers and power meters. EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS can interface with various process and power devices, depending on the device capability. In addition to Schneider devices, EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS is able to integrate third-party devices and instrumentation.
Through a ready-to-configure library of templates, EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS simplifies the management of device configuration and integration into the automation architecture. The exchanges are configured automatically and a facet of the object template provides a pre-configured faceplate to monitor the device in the operation system.
EcoStruxure Hybrid DCS collects process, quality and energy data from the plant and generates detailed reports to help decision making. It seamlessly connects to production and business systems to ensure that the right people have access to the information they need. This is made possible by combining real-time production data with the easy and secure accessibility of the database.
Historian provides the following services:
• Long time archiving with Microsoft SQL server
• Configuration of data to be historically recorded from each object
• Through a Web browser
• Automatic generation of reports in various formats
• Excel client
• Openness to level 3 (MES and ERP systems)
Access offer documentation, support information, certificates, customer references.Start browsing
Maximize your business infrastructure and address increasing demands on safety, equipment availability, and performance optimization.Explore our services
From technical support to complete customer service, we care about your business and individual needs.Contact us